Tournament woes.

Overtyped

Recruit
Jan 1, 2022
Participating in tournaments has left me scratching my head. Seeing the sight of eight clan members banding together to eliminate all other competitors, then intentionally allow their own members to kill them, is really unfortunate.

Horse tournaments are a guaranteed wash, if you aren't stacking it with a clan, you would be better off throwing your money away, because these clans tactically choose bad weapons, often the sword, and then hide in a secluded spot until one of their spear-wielding clan members eliminates someone who is stuck with a useless mounted weapon. Once a kill has been secured, that spear wielder then dismounts his horse, and lets the clan members with swords kill him. This process repeats itself in subsequent rounds, with the sword clan member switching to the spear and vice versa.

I've witnessed an instance where three clan members ganged up on the lone individual who was attempting to play fairly in a round that had only four participants remaining. The trio eliminated their victim, even going so far as to begin jumping around, and flexing their weapons, probably laughing in discord at the people who dared to try to compete fairly.

To add insult to injury, in the subsequent rounds they didn't even bother to fight; instead, they just stand around posing, and when they got bored, they let their leader kill the others.

I know my skill level, I am not a great fighter, so I don't join tournaments thinking I will win, so the impact of this cheating is less impactful on me than it could be, but even I find this kind of toxic environment discouraging to the point that I don't want to join them anymore, and I also have a strong feeling that many people now believe they don't have a chance of winning no matter how good they are, and ultimately, this could lead, or likely has already led to the alienation and disenchantment of many people, driving them to not participate, or just quit playing the game entirely because they would rather play a game that doesn't allow open rigging.

As for ways to fix it, 1v1 tournaments is one way I can think of.

If not, it might be better to just turn tournaments off to stem the bleeding. It would be better to have less content than losing more people.

Last edited:
Reactions: Horked and Crysiant

Crysiant

Recruit
Mar 7, 2023
Yeah, I'm not some kind of megachad tourney person anyway, but I know better than to enter tournaments. All the calls for "Come on and join!" are translated to "Come let my team gank you so we can harvest prizes".

Got better things to do with entry fees.