Maybe punish clanless players a little less?

HerbD

Recruit
Apr 16, 2022
I'm sure you have good reason to punish players who want to play pve/coop, except for arena, tournaments and stuff. It's probably not the lack of clan players, because there doesn't seem to be any, but what the hell. I'm sure you also have good reason to make the most interesting pve areas pvp areas at the same time. In any case, couldn't you at least remove the speed penalty for clanless parties, so one can actually go into these areas and not get ganked up on with no chance of victory or escape?

Queen Anna

Veteran
Jun 15, 2021
I'm sure you have good reason to punish players who want to play pve/coop, except for arena, tournaments and stuff. It's probably not the lack of clan players, because there doesn't seem to be any, but what the hell. I'm sure you also have good reason to make the most interesting pve areas pvp areas at the same time. In any case, couldn't you at least remove the speed penalty for clanless parties, so one can actually go into these areas and not get ganked up on with no chance of victory or escape?
hi HerbD,
I talk about it all the time here. But they don't want to hear me :(
And other clan players answer, that this is a game for clans only(!) and our destiny is always only to be victims, or suppliers of resources:(

Reactions: HerbD

HerbD

Recruit
Apr 16, 2022
Yeah, that does sound like the kind of people you attract with clan-based pvp... Lots of trash talk in the chat, too, and people getting muted for insults all the time, lol. I don't see why the mod can't be there for different playstyles, though.

It's just such a waste of potential, because the technical side of the mod is so well done. They make it seem like the bannerlord singleplayer was always meant to be played mmo style. Now if only the content and design choices were just as good...

Last edited:

Queen Anna

Veteran
Jun 15, 2021
Yeah, that does sound like the kind of people you attract with clan-based pvp... Lots of trash talk in the chat, too, and people getting muted for insults all the time, lol. I don't see why the mod can't be there for different playstyles, though.

It's just such a waste of potential, because the technical side of the mod is so well done. They make it seem like the bannerlord singleplayer was always meant to be played mmo style. Now if only the content and design choices were just as good...
The development team is very small. They seem to be unable to develop the mod to its full potential. Unfortunately, they don't have time for us:(
And now they are on the wave of euphoria from a huge amount of donations ;)

Judanne

Recruit
Mar 16, 2021
I think it's the nature of World PvP in MMOs. It's a game of cat and mouse; whoever has the numbers wins most battles. A lot of valuable goods are found in the PvP zones like the Northlands and Wildlands, reinforcing the idea of risk and reward. The economy revolves around rare goods that enhance the power of the individual player. The only way to get noble units is through ancient coins which are dropped from mobs in the Wildlands, and it involves the risk of getting attacked by other players. Also, the best armor can only be obtained through killing bosses in these zones. There are instances of clans which manage to lockout or gatekeep others from doing the bosses. For things so valuable, competition and conflict is inevitable. Feelings will get hurt, and people will one-up each other for many reasons, just like in real life and current politics.

Struggle is the ethos of the game: losing gear, losing units, losing time, rinse and repeat. All that's missing is territory control, so that the struggles are worth the troubles. There's only a limited amount of territory to control for a war-based game. PvP is not the kind of game that would appeal to every demographic, unless there are changes to the economy that PvE players could enjoy and be just as valuable in the game (farming food, cutting wood, mining metal, raising horses, etc.). See it as the symbiosis of PvP and PvE. One cannot exist without the other in an MMO. Otherwise, the PvP players would play on Taleworld's multiplayer, and the PvE players would play singleplayer.

1650177993667.png

The health of an MMO comes down to its community, but overall, the game's design is the crucial factor. If poorly designed, the game may end up fading away into obscurity like many other MMOs. It really is up to the Bannerlord Online team and their vision of the game. The conceptual basis and ideas are all great on paper. Implementing and seeing them in practice is a constant challenge; it's all a test and an on-going experiment to see what works and what doesn't.

The developers have been doing a great job so far as they have been listening to the community's feedback. The retreat mechanic and safe zones are one of many solutions that balances the power discrepancy between the weak and the strong. There's still a lot of work, but this game has a good future.

chimpas.gif

HerbD

Recruit
Apr 16, 2022
It's not that I'm per se against pvp or competition. It's just that, when I agree to a match of soccer, I don't go "bring as many players and balls as you can find and just take anything you want when you win".

Seriously, people are playing this to feel powerful for gathering as many beta chimps around them as possible and have them do repetitive grinding, so they can assert dominance over others in an online game, when it's not about skill or anything, but only about combined grinding time?

Then it's only fair to reduce speed for clanless parties I guess.

Queen Anna

Veteran
Jun 15, 2021
I think, this is the most important issue, that should be resolved as quickly as possible!
...and huge number of bugs of course, but this is all solvable, and SPEED requires a change in approach, and reworking of the entire clan system ;)

HerbD

Recruit
Apr 16, 2022
I think, this is the most important issue, that should be resolved as quickly as possible!
...and huge number of bugs of course, but this is all solvable, and SPEED requires a change in approach, and reworking of the entire clan system ;)
Why, yes. They would have to change a whole number for that, maybe even with several digits.

Judanne

Recruit
Mar 16, 2021
It's not that I'm per se against pvp or competition. It's just that, when I agree to a match of soccer, I don't go "bring as many players and balls as you can find and just take anything you want when you win".

Seriously, people are playing this to feel powerful for gathering as many beta chimps around them as possible and have them do repetitive grinding, so they can assert dominance over others in an online game, when it's not about skill or anything, but only about combined grinding time?

1650221669541.png

Queen Anna

Veteran
Jun 15, 2021
hi judanne,
Thanks, this is very interesting.
But why is a specific question about the SPEED of movement, always followed by a generalized answer about the hardcore / easy of the PVP mode, and not a specific solution?
Why is it not possible to sell single players a daily speed increase boost for influence points? In the stable for example?
Let it be a very expensive boost, let it cost 100 influence points, but give that choice to the players!

HerbD

Recruit
Apr 16, 2022
Tbh, deriving skills from how awesome your clan is is one of the shittiest concepts I have seen in any game/mod yet and I'm already beginning to lose interest, if that's the direction they want to keep going with this. I wouldn't spend anything just to lift an unfair penalty.

What's next? Clan tier determining the hp and damage of your troops?

Reactions: Queen Anna