(Guide) Invalid addedIconIds banner collection!

SyncWolf

Veteran
Oct 17, 2021
Netherlands
Troubleshooting Guide
Your game has crashed and you've received this error message? Then read this post on how to resolve this.

Error: System.Exception: Invalid addedIconIds banner collection! Please, check your game files!
invalid addedIconIds.png

This error can occur when attempting to join the server if you have mods installed that modify or expand the default ingame banners.

Known Conflicting mod

CCs Banners
This mod has been identified as causing the above error message. You will need to remove this mod in order to play Bannerlord Online.
Be aware that removing the mod will cause problems with any modified banners in your single player save game!

It is entirely possible that there are other mods that expand the banner options that will cause the same error. The same steps should also work. If you've identified such a mod, please reply to this post and share your findings!

Removing Mods

Check the information below on how to remove the mod. The instructions depend on whether you've downloaded the mod from a third party website, such as nexusmods, or through the Steam workshop.

Nexusmods
(Temporarily) Remove the mods from Bannerlord.
  1. Create a new folder in a location convenient for you.
  2. Navigate to the Bannerlord Modules folder. "\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Mount & Blade II Bannerlord\Modules"Local files.png

3. Move the identified mod (i.e. CCs Banners) to the new folder created in step 1.

4. Verify the game files through Steam or the Epic Games Store.Verifying.gif

5. Launch Bannerlord Online.

Steam Workshop
Unlike mods downloaded and installed through other websites, like Nexusmods, Steam has an automated system and uses a different directory for your workshop mods. "\SteamLibrary\steamapps\workshop\content\261550\" . It is not possible to temporarly move these mods, as Steam will redownload them when it detects these as missing. Instead, you will need to unsubscribe to mods downloaded from the Steam workshop.

To check which mods you have installed for Bannerlord, go to the Workshop of Bannerlord and on the right under "Your workshop Files", change the option from "Your Files" to "Subscribed Items".
Workshop files.png

illutian

Recruit
Apr 15, 2023
USA
I think it's probably any Banner (Clan Banner, that is) mod. I don't have CC Banners, but I do have: Banner Editor (superior banner creator which also allows you to EXPORT!), Banner Fix, and Rebel Banners.

If I had to guess, I'd say it was Banner Editor.

Since Banner Fix just fixes the visual crapstain that TW decided to use (instead of the actual banner of the Clan). And Rebel Banners seems to just add art assets over the vanilla banners to denote dissenters.

((Though, from reading the CC Banners, it might be Rebel Banners; CC Banners says it 'adds new banners'.))

EDIT:

Looking over the "installing 2 copies of the same game" questions involving Steam games, but would probably not work for Workshop mods as they auto-download.

The below should be in the right order. You want the batch file to rename the Modules folder you using for not-Bannerlord Online to be renamed to another name and then have the Batch File rename the Modules folder used for Bannerlord Online back to just 'Modules'. THEN trigger Steam to launch the game with all the functionality of the Steam Overlay and game time tracking.

...when you want to not play Bannerlord Online, the other Batch File will rename the Bannerlord Online 'Modules' folder and then rename the not-Bannerlord Online 'Modules' folder back to 'Modules'. THEN trigger Steam to launch the game with all the functionality of the Steam Overlay and game time tracking.

Note: I'm novice at this sort of stuff, so the order might not be right, but at no point should it delete the 'Modules' folder and the roughly 43GB of data.

Batch File: Single-player

cd [drive location of Steam]\Steam\steamapps\common
ren Mount & Blade II Bannerlord\Modules Mount & Blade II Bannerlord\Modules_mp
ren Mount & Blade II Bannerlord\Modules_sp Mount & Blade II Bannerlord\Modules
start steam://rungameid/261550

Batch File: Multi-player

cd [drive location of Steam]\Steam\steamapps\common
ren Mount & Blade II Bannerlord\Modules Mount & Blade II Bannerlord\Modules_sp
ren Mount & Blade II Bannerlord\Modules_mp Mount & Blade II Bannerlord\Modules
start steam://rungameid/261550

EDIT2:

Replace 'steam://rungameid/261550' with whatever the path is for custom launchers or Vortex.

Last edited: