(Guide) A fatal error occurred while reading a file

SyncWolf

Veteran
Oct 17, 2021
Netherlands
Troubleshooting Guide
Your game has crashed and you've received this error message? Then read this post on how to resolve this.

Error: Application crashed because a fatal error occurred while reading a file.

File Error.png
(This is an example screenshot, your error message may indicate a different file!)
  1. Check your own error message to see which file it is referring to.
  2. Browse to the Bannerlord installation folder and locate the file mentioned in your error message.
  3. Delete the file from your error message. (example: core_game.tpac)
  4. Verify your game files through Steam of the Epic Store. This will download the missing file and resolve the error.
    - Epic Store: Open the Library and click on the 3 dots below Bannerlord. Then choose "Verify".
    - Steam: Right-click on Bannerlord and choose "Properties". Go to "Local Files" and choose "Verify Integrity of game files..."

SyncWolf

Veteran
Oct 17, 2021
Netherlands
I can't find my error file in folder files and still cannot play lol
The file should be somewhere in your Bannerlord installation. If you've found the location, but the file doesn't exist, you should be able to use the next step to verify the integrity of your game files to download the missing file.

BloodforOdin

Recruit
Nov 16, 2022
The file should be somewhere in your Bannerlord installation. If you've found the location, but the file doesn't exist, you should be able to use the next step to verify the integrity of your game files to download the missing file.
yeah still not working 6 hours been trying fix :/

SyncWolf

Veteran
Oct 17, 2021
Netherlands
yeah still not working 6 hours been trying fix :/
I wasn't aware you were having an issue with Bannerlord Online files. In which case verifying game files will have no impact, as it's not a base game file.

I recommend going to the folder in which your BO launcher is located. There should be a .zip file with numbers. You can try extracting that manually or deleting the compressed file, which will force BO to redownload all files.

Last edited:

BloodforOdin

Recruit
Nov 16, 2022
I wasn't aware you were having an issue with Bannerlord Online files. In which case verifying game files will have no impact, as it's not a base game file.

I recommend going to the folder in which your BO launcher is located. There should be a .zip file with numbers. You can try extracting that manually or deleting the compressed file, which will force BO to redownload all files.
nope still unable play guess im done with bannerlord =/

BloodforOdin

Recruit
Nov 16, 2022
Got it fixed you have to delete all bannerlord everything files off your C: like go to C: and search bannerlord it show list of them randoms location and delete all so it fixed