Steam on Linux/Wine

gigadino

Recruit
Jun 21, 2022
Hi,

has anybody an idea or knows how to get the online mod running on a linux system?
The game runs via the steam launcher and proton/wine

SyncWolf

Veteran
Oct 17, 2021
Netherlands
My knowledge of Linux is fairly limited. However, Bannerlord Online has it's own installation and launcher, which were created for a windows environment. So even if you were to manually put all the files in place, it most likely will have problems detecting what it needs.

It's not just a drag and drop installation and running the base game through Steam.

moonlight.exe

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 12, 2020
Hi,

has anybody an idea or knows how to get the online mod running on a linux system?
The game runs via the steam launcher and proton/wine
Hello,
as SyncWolf said above me there is only one way to play Bannerlord Online is to obtain Windows.
There is no Linux version, sadly.

Trema

Recruit
Jul 24, 2022
Launched BO Launcher on Linux through Proton. But stuck on the loading screen of the game.
stuck.jpeg
After waiting 15 minutes, closed it. Maybe I should have waited longer :/

How to launch BO Launcher:
  • Download the BOSetup.exe
  • Add the setup file to your steam library
    add_non_steam.jpeg
  • Select the Proton version for it and run it
  • After installing the launcher, do the same with it

feldron

Recruit
Mar 11, 2023
THis makes me a sad.
i need it.
I Crave it.

I think u just need to add something else maybe, I`ll try later

SyncWolf

Veteran
Oct 17, 2021
Netherlands
THis makes me a sad.
i need it.
I Crave it.

I think u just need to add something else maybe, I`ll try later
There's a user on discord that got BO to work on Proton, though he had to go through a few steps to get it to work. He left this note though:

LOL i got it working. Steps to reproduce:
  1. Delete proton prefix folder (compdata/261550)
  2. Set the proton version to 4.2-9
  3. Start Bannerlord launcher to regenerate proton prefix and exit
  4. Install dotnet472 using protontricks (protontricks 261550 dotnet472). Note that this step installs all required previous versions of dotnet and may take an hour to do.
  5. Set the proton version back to experimental or ge 6. Install BO and enjoy!!!

JINXX

Recruit
Apr 28, 2023
This doesn't work anymore, after installing dotnet the original game doesn't work

Valjhun

Recruit
Mar 6, 2023
Recently i tried once more to reproduce setting up Bannerlord Online from scratch and i was unsuccessful. However i was still able to start and play Bannerlord Online using my old prefix and terminal command:
STEAM_COMPAT_DATA_PATH=/path/to/SteamLibrary/steamapps/compatdata/261550 proton -e 261550 BannerlordOnline.exe
Here is the link to my working prefix:
Delete your 261550 prefix and replace it with mine
BannerlordOnline.exe is in steamuser/AppData/Local/Programs/Bannerlord Online

Hopefully this works for others

Iltis Beauce

Recruit
Dec 29, 2023
Recently i tried once more to reproduce setting up Bannerlord Online from scratch and i was unsuccessful. However i was still able to start and play Bannerlord Online using my old prefix and terminal command:
STEAM_COMPAT_DATA_PATH=/path/to/SteamLibrary/steamapps/compatdata/261550 proton -e 261550 BannerlordOnline.exe
Here is the link to my working prefix:
Delete your 261550 prefix and replace it with mine
BannerlordOnline.exe is in steamuser/AppData/Local/Programs/Bannerlord Online

Hopefully this works for others
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=3057359300
Use this tutorial with Valjhun's prefix.
Replace Beammp with bannelord online. Use Proton QT to download Steam Tinker Launch.

If anyone wants to do the tutorial with bannelord online to make it easier.

witek

Recruit
Mar 22, 2024
BO is working fine for me with Proton GE 9-2. It was pretty straightforward, you should be able to replicate this with the steps below:

1. create a new prefix with proton GE 9-2 (remove compatdata/261550 and start the game again)
2. install .NET 472 in new prefix with protontricks
Code:
protontricks 261550 dotnet472
3. install Bannerlord Online with protontricks (I chose game folder as the destination for convinience)
Code:
protontricks-launch --appid 261550 "~/Downloads/BannerlordOnlineSetup.exe"

All besides that is just configuration to run it without relying on protontricks. For example, you can use a command like this in launch options to run BO directly from Steam, just replace the path to exe file,
Code:
$(echo %command% | sed -r "s/proton waitforexitandrun .*/proton waitforexitandrun/") "/mnt/gamedrive/SteamLibrary/steamapps/common/Mount & Blade II Bannerlord/OnlineMod/Bannerlord Online/BannerlordOnline.exe"

You can modify this launch option as you wish, e.g. I'm running it through Gamescope like below:
Code:
gamescope -f -W 3840 -H 2160 -w 3840 -h 2160 --force-grab-cursor --adaptive-sync --  $(echo %command% | sed -r "s/proton waitforexitandrun .*/proton waitforexitandrun/") "/mnt/gamedrive/SteamLibrary/steamapps/common/Mount & Blade II Bannerlord/OnlineMod/Bannerlord Online/BannerlordOnline.exe"