Slow movementspeed and healingrate - NewPlayerExperience

Phobos

Recruit
Sep 18, 2021
Anybody else thinks movement is waaaay too slow and healing just takes forever?

Catching up to 1 looter at 2.9 speed whilst the looter running away at 2.5 speed just takes so long. Also in the event im engageing with Looters there is good chance multiple looters queue up for an extended fight and i die. It's not like i walk arround unarmoured, wearing 20+ armour on head legs arms and 40 on chest.

Looters simply 2 - 3 shot me. Once im downed im forced to wait for my health to regen back up. This slog simply takes so long its frustrating.

I know about recruiting wage slaves, but this just prolongs my healing downtime and waiting for wounded infantry to recover.

Inb4 gitgud
The amount of time to put into this mod, for me, to make it not feel atrocious to combat looters is too damn high.

TL;DR;
Takes forever to gear up, travel the map, acuire troops, have them not die, have yourself not die(with decent armour), and the amount of time to heal backup when dead is too damn high.

Other then that, I had tons of fun playing with my buddy. It was very satisfying. Good mod, would play again 6/10.

Reactions: Goshakaa

Anyone

Recruit
Sep 18, 2021
100% agree that the new player experience is just too unforgiving

the fact that this mod even exists tho blows my mind, just needs some tweeks

the healing part is the one i hate the most....you have food in the game, why not have it heal you faster or even add a "use" option in the campaign map
could also be done with going into the tavern and "use" the food that is laying on the table to heal

i am sure the mod devs will improve the mod eitehr way, until then its probably not for me due to the slow start

keep it on tho

Reactions: Karahan

OpSirJaxsme

Recruit
Jul 19, 2021
Movement is terribly slow! If my guy goes through woods in the snow it will drop him under 1.0. And if you hadn’t noticed it’s a lot of wooded areas!

I wish you could actually use road systems to your advantage!

Reactions: Karahan

S i d

Recruit
Mar 22, 2021
California
Movement is terribly slow! If my guy goes through woods in the snow it will drop him under 1.0. And if you hadn’t noticed it’s a lot of wooded areas!

I wish you could actually use road systems to your advantage!
Don't forget night time and a light load

KaiserX

Recruit
Sep 29, 2021

Healing:​

1) Adding healing items in the game which boosts your 'heal rate' in the game world by a fixed amount for a set duration (affects the Hero and the army) with increasing cost to it's use, and has weight. Example: +30 Heal Rate for 24 ingame hours when used. Costs 1000 gold for 1 consumable.

2) Adding a healer NPC in the Tavern who bandages up your hero up to 50% of max health for a cheap fee of 150 gold. This is intended to be easier on the recovery aspects if having a hard time surviving in harder regions, and isn't a crutch to help you progress the game.

3) Adding field medics sort of 'passive soldiers' in the game as a recruit possibility, but they do not participate in battle and cost wage, but increase healing rate for the whole squad overall for each 'medic'. +15 Heal Rate at a Wage of 35 Gold maybe? Possible to promote for higher heal rate efficiency, like 30 points for 50, and 60 points for 60? Cost to recruit should be fairly high and possibly require some sort of condition to access.
You could utilize the single player "companion functionalities" for this maybe, where they do not join battles, only exists to bolster healing rate, etc.

* You would need to remove Arena healing the player for every won match then, and maybe not allow players to join the Arena unless 50% health or higher?

Movements:​

1) Giving each tier of mounts you equip add +0.25 movement speed on the map per tier. This makes mounts WAY more valued for traveling fast on the world map. Tier 5 mount gives your hero a +1.25 move speed.

2) Add Torches as item which negates Night movement speeds, gives you a bit of sight distance, but makes you detectable from twice as far to be ambushed by any higher level bandits, as well as half the distance other players need to see you on the map. You equip it into one of your 4 equipable civilian slots. Costs at least 1000 gold perhaps?

3) Remove Forest movement speeds for anyone traveling on foot through forests. Remove mount's speed bonus in forest so that walking is the fastest in forests. Add a perk to reduce Snow penalties at 30 Athletics, and negate it completely at 60.

4) Add a button in the bottom right corner next to movement speeds to toggle mount or foot traveling.

Last edited:

KaiserX

Recruit
Sep 29, 2021
Another game mechanic to try to use is the Hide mechanic that takes advantage of the field Bandit's detection of you:

Hide / Ambush functions​

- When toggled, you stop and hide to reduce your presence, to other players you are invisible until they get closer to you, to bandits, they practically cannot see you as well as if it's night time, and during night time, you practically are invisible until they bump into you.
- In order to use this, your squad must be in a forested area, and it takes time to set up a hideaway using the brush and trees.
- The bigger your army, the harder it is to maintain stealth, the longer it takes to set up at a base rate of 5s + 0.5s for every soldier.

How you would code this to make it work, is possibly a debuff radius 12 units away that reduces the 'scouting' stat by 12, minus -0.20 stats per extra soldier you have. So a army of 100 unit would be reducing the effect by (12 - 19.8) = -7.8 which would be changed to 0 as it's negative. But at night, there may be some viable use to hiding a small army to ambush others.

This also gives Roguery stat a use in the online mode, since you can't take bandits prisoner and such.

Last edited:

Zurian

Recruit
Oct 7, 2021
Just started playing BO and for me it's perfect as it is, slower movement makes map bigger, and slow healing makes you play more carefully instead of foolishly engaging every party in your range/playing berserker every battle.

Maybe small boost for 'calvary only' or infantry covered with additional horses would be reasonable - atm it looks like it doesn't make any difference if you are mounted or not, at least for small bands.

What i would change so far:
- reduce number of looter/bandits, instead make them much more profitable to hunt - for me it would be more fun/rewarding to search 1-3 nice (more difficult) parties to engage over map than fight 100 meaningless battles during same time, farming style, i expect players fighting over such parties could be a problem then, maybe reducing scouting range a bit could solve such issue
- spread various size bandit groups across whole map instead of current setup with smaller bands near 'newbie' area, bigger bands are slower so it shouldn't be a problem for new players to avoid them anyway, also it would allow new players to scatter around calradia instead of forcing to them to stay near starter area

KaiserX

Recruit
Sep 29, 2021
Wait until you put 11-20 units on the party. -0.10 for every 10 units.
This means hunting 40+ units will see them moving at 2.1 - 2.5 speeds while you are moving at 2.6 or lower.
Given that forest debuffs slows both of you and your target by a percentage margin, you end up being almost at the same speed hence chasing a bandit in a forest at night in snow takes forever.

This is why mounts should give us a edge in chasing bandits, they are walking on foot after all...

In the original game, bandits only flee based on a army power check, so basically 1 infantry has a higher weight than 1 recruit.
So someone having a army of master archers will have a tough time getting bandits to engage them even at lower numbers.

I also don't get why they treat hideout as a standard match (you have a map load, units spawn in, and attacks immediately), rather than actual hideouts from the base game... I guess they can't simulate the campaign logic but can fake it?

KaiserX

Recruit
Sep 29, 2021
Also the client sided text files shows the data for every armor piece stats and such, so if the server sided calculation had different armor values, you wouldn't have notice it at all.

I had a falcion hit my armored character and i lost nearly 60+ hp, with 25-45 armor rating on the part.

Bandit weapons like that Falcion is about 67 so at least 25 should be absorbed, for a 42 damage right?

Queen Anna

Veteran
Jun 15, 2021
Also the client sided text files shows the data for every armor piece stats and such, so if the server sided calculation had different armor values, you wouldn't have notice it at all.

I had a falcion hit my armored character and i lost nearly 60+ hp, with 25-45 armor rating on the part.

Bandit weapons like that Falcion is about 67 so at least 25 should be absorbed, for a 42 damage right?
Simple math does not work here, you forget about the important bonus to the speed, of each weapons.

Oakenlix

Infantry Man
Apr 11, 2021
That's not how armor works at all. Bandits were made stronger in this mod intentionally to make it more challenging.

So someone having a army of master archers will have a tough time getting bandits to engage them even at lower numbers.
Bandits lose their speed gradually when running away.

KaiserX

Recruit
Sep 29, 2021
That's not how armor works at all. Bandits were made stronger in this mod intentionally to make it more challenging.

Bandits lose their speed gradually when running away.
I wonder why they don't just give them deserters and hillmen then to account for such higher skill levels?
If they dish out far more damage than normal, that would imply they have 150~200 skills in one handed?