Batles with looters is to close!!!

VladTepes

Recruit
Mar 22, 2021
Hello ,first of all i want to say that this team is amazing....and if they will put faction npc like in single player and pvp i wil pay 10 euros for the mod gladly.....but first...i will beg them to just put the enemy far away when u go in batle...Because when the batle start , u dont have time to arange ur troops,because the looters are to close to u....so close that they can hit u with rocs even if they dont come to you......plssss devs ,make the enemy spwan far away from us so we can put our troops in formation.....and if we coould seletct some troops so we can put in other group that will be amazing....so i would have diferent infantry in diferent grups like grop 1 the recrouts and group 2 the upgraded inf....Aniway u are doing an amazing job.....and if i would made this game i will hire you and pay u to make the online feature !!! You guys are amazing !!!!!

WildOink

Recruit
Mar 21, 2021
Yes, it's too close, that why everyone is using horse archers to maintain the distance. Usually, I would have the ranges to wear down the enemies before they get to my infantry so the front line won't get overrun. However, due to the distance that was given at the initial battle, I had no choice but to use HA like everyone else. The injuries and deaths of the infantry/footmen just won't add up.

Reactions: S i d

Diresword

Recruit
Mar 22, 2021
I am torn between if I agree or not. At first it seems a bit overwhelming trying to rush into position when you have a group of looters charging at you. But given the current state of the game, they are the ONLY enemies on the map right now. If they were pushed back, it would probably make the fights extremely easy to win by showering the looters with arrows. I personally like how it makes you have to act fast, draw your weapons and prepare to fight. Sure, you are going to lose some troops, but I feel it's what makes the game more suited for the online mod. Being able to just continuously farm the looters like you would in single player would be too easy and you would grow an army for nothing else at the moment.

I think the looter distance is good, but if/when they add other NPC armies (other group types) it may permit a more tactical approach and being able to stage your army with a larger distance between you and the enemy.

BigChunghus

Recruit
Mar 22, 2021
My current army consists of 20 ranged mostly vlandian crossbows and some empire bowman 6 empire horse archers, and T2 infantry whom I use as cannon fodder

What i do is move infa foward in square/circle formation and ranged back looters clump up around infa and get very quickly picked off by ranged units sometimes i loose maybe 1 or 2 infa against a stack of 50 looters

Diresword

Recruit
Mar 22, 2021
My current army consists of 20 ranged mostly vlandian crossbows and some empire bowman 6 empire horse archers, and T2 infantry whom I use as cannon fodder

What i do is move infa foward in square/circle formation and ranged back looters clump up around infa and get very quickly picked off by ranged units sometimes i loose maybe 1 or 2 infa against a stack of 50 looters
This is exactly my point. It is pretty easy to pick off the looters as-is.

S i d

Recruit
Mar 22, 2021
California
This totally needs to be fixed, there's no tactics involved with any of the battle anymore, unless you cheese it with a band of horse archers.
Please let us have the opportunity to actually involve tactics

NikolaTheScamr

Infantry Man
Mar 18, 2021
Basement
Yeah sure, with looters this is whatever. No big deal
But with almost any other unit, especially those with shields and throwing it's a problem.
Because on the start when you tell your units to do a shield wall they just start running back due to game mechanics.
Then to counter that i have to also tell them to stand in such a way that they don't turn their backs while running backwards.
But then they start moving from one side of the shield wall to the opposite (again due to game mechanics)

So it'd be nice to atleast have enough time to do a shieldwall formation without all your (shielded) units being vulnerable to ranged attacks from the first moment of the battle.

Diresword

Recruit
Mar 22, 2021
Yeah sure, with looters this is whatever. No big deal
But with almost any other unit, especially those with shields and throwing it's a problem.
Because on the start when you tell your units to do a shield wall they just start running back due to game mechanics.
Then to counter that i have to also tell them to stand in such a way that they don't turn their backs while running backwards.
But then they start moving from one side of the shield wall to the opposite (again due to game mechanics)

So it'd be nice to atleast have enough time to do a shieldwall formation without all your (shielded) units being vulnerable to ranged attacks from the first moment of the battle.
Fully agree! Looteres are and should be the entry point for all players to battle, and is good to be simplistic in terms of fighting. Once you fight them a few times, you can figure out how to stage your army quickly to fight.

But once we get bandit/sea raider stacks, or potentially other small NPC armies running around, I agree a more tactical, further range should be used giving you OR the enemy time to stage. Just like in single player, a lord would defend a position, which I feel would be a good component to use here when fighting larger battles against an enemy that would consist of "trained" units.

VladTepes

Recruit
Mar 22, 2021
Im fine with looters spawning close. But I really hope it wont be like this in pvp
:)))) u are funny man....all the fights will have the same distance....so the easy fights u all want to be close is ok...but the hard fights u want them far away so u can prepare the trops...The best way is to have time to arange ur trops cose will be fight with lots of units and u wont be able to comand all ur trops cose they are allready in a fight....

MedicRabbit

Recruit
Mar 18, 2021
Yup,

I think half the problem with bandit parties right now, is how close the starting distance is. I've complained a lot in chat about looters and make all the jokes. But truthfully- If you simply doubled (or tripled) the starting combat distance, you fix a lot of the problems. The looters stop feeling OP because you get time to prep for them. Combat becomes future-proofed, and a lot of the needless grind comes out of combat. I'd personally appreciate it. I don't like the idea that I spend hours training up my 30-something troops to tier 3-4-5 and they get knocked off by a liked-sized group of *Looters*. Not another army, not higher-tier bandits (like sea raiders). Nope, just looters, the lowest tier bandit with the least amount of gear one can have.

Polarite

Recruit
Mar 22, 2021
They're planning to change this on the new roadmap

Updating the system of battles: - Dynamic regulation of the distance between teams before the start of the battle.