(Guide) d3d Device context - lock texture failed GPU has been suspended

SyncWolf

Veteran
Oct 17, 2021
Netherlands
Troubleshooting Guide
Your game has crashed and you've received this error message? Then read this post on how to resolve this.

Error: d3d_device_context_ -> Map at rglGPU_device::lock_texture Failed! The GPU device instance has been suspended

d3d_device_context.PNG

Shaders Fix
  1. Browse to "C:\ProgramData\Mount and Blade II Bannerlord\".
  2. Delete the "Shaders" folder.
  3. Verify your game files through Steam or the Epic Store. This will download the missing files.
    epic_games_black_logo_icon_147139.png Epic Store: Open the Library and click on the 3 dots below Bannerlord. Then choose "Verify".
    steam-icon-14883.png Steam: Right-click on Bannerlord and choose "Properties". Go to "Installed Files" and choose "Verify Integrity of game files"
Update Graphics card drivers
Check for updates to your graphics card (videocard) and install the latest update.

Downgrade your graphics card drivers
In some cases, the latest drivers actually cause incompatibility issues and downgrading to a previous stable driver resolves the error. If you still have older driver downloads on your computer, you can check the following locations:

Disable Shaders in Nvidia Control Panel (Nvidia graphics cards only)
  1. Open the Nvidia Control Panel.
  2. Go to "Manage 3D Settings".
  3. Choose between "Global Settings" or "Program Settings" depending on your preference. For Program Settings you may need to manually add Bannerlord to the list.
  4. Change the "Shader Cache Size" to "Disabled".
Limit Bannerlord fps
  1. Run Bannerlord Online (or single player if not possible).
  2. Press Escape and go to Options.
  3. Go to Video options.
  4. Reduce the value for "Frame Limiter" to 60. This will greatly reduce the CPU load.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: RoGreat and Tolu

Tolu

Recruit
Aug 2, 2022
Hello Syncwolf, i want to thank you for help! it means the world ! I tried so many solutions but nothing works but this! I am so happy I hope you have a wonderful day! you are a hero! I been trying to fix this for few months it was getting very frustrating but it work in the end but thank you so much for putting out your time to help others! I made this account just to thank you!

SyncWolf

Veteran
Oct 17, 2021
Netherlands
Hello Syncwolf, i want to thank you for help! it means the world ! I tried so many solutions but nothing works but this! I am so happy I hope you have a wonderful day! you are a hero! I been trying to fix this for few months it was getting very frustrating but it work in the end but thank you so much for putting out your time to help others! I made this account just to thank you!
Hi Tolu,

I'm glad to hear you were able to solve your issue! That's what these guides are for. Enjoy Bannerlord!

HIPhop

Recruit
Sep 12, 2022
Hey, I'm just wondering I have done this can I not load a old save or because after I did this I reloaded an old save and it didn't crash for like 5 minutes so im just wondering about that. And also if you can load an old save then wether it might be the problem with my pc.

Ederoth

Recruit
Nov 13, 2023
Troubleshooting Guide
Your game has crashed and you've received this error message? Then read this post on how to resolve this.

Error: d3d_device_context_ -> Map at rglGPU_device::lock_texture Failed! The GPU device instance has been suspended

View attachment 781

Shaders Fix
  1. Browse to "C:\ProgramData\Mount and Blade II Bannerlord\".
  2. Delete the "Shaders" folder.
  3. Verify your game files through Steam of the Epic Store. This will download the missing files.
    - Epic Store: Open the Library and click on the 3 dots below Bannerlord. Then choose "Verify".
    - Steam: Right-click on Bannerlord and choose "Properties". Go to "Local Files" and choose "Verify Integrity of game files..."
Update Graphics card drivers
Check for updates to your graphics card (videocard) and install the latest update.

Disable Shaders in Nvidia Control Panel (Nvidia graphics cards only)
  1. Open the Nvidia Control Panel.
  2. Go to "Manage 3D Settings".
  3. Change the "Shader Cache" to "off".
Limit Bannerlord fps
  1. Run Bannerlord Online (or single player if not possible).
  2. Press Escape and go to Options.
  3. Go to Video options.
  4. Reduce the value for "Frame Limited" to 60. This will greatly reduce the CPU load.
None of this seems to be helping. Are there any other fixes? I haven't had this issue before and this PC is only 1 month old and has no other issues with any other game.

SyncWolf

Veteran
Oct 17, 2021
Netherlands
None of this seems to be helping. Are there any other fixes? I haven't had this issue before and this PC is only 1 month old and has no other issues with any other game.
These are the only confirmed possible fixes I'm aware of, but you could try lowering some of the graphics settings to ensure you're not exceeding your GPU memory usage.

Try changing the "Texture Streaming Budget" and "Shader Quality" to see if they have any impact.

EDIT: In case of a gaming laptop, make sure the correct graphics card is selected under the "Video" options. It sometimes has a habbit of going for the Onboard graphics card instead of the proper gaming card.

1700064969482.png

Ederoth

Recruit
Nov 13, 2023
These are the only confirmed possible fixes I'm aware of, but you could try lowering some of the graphics settings to ensure you're not exceeding your GPU memory usage.

Try changing the "Texture Streaming Budget" and "Shader Quality" to see if they have any impact.

EDIT: In case of a gaming laptop, make sure the correct graphics card is selected under the "Video" options. It sometimes has a habbit of going for the Onboard graphics card instead of the proper gaming card.

View attachment 1310
It ended up being only one city causing the crash amitatys

codeman

Recruit
Nov 28, 2023
same in my case, only amitatys causes this crash. Double checked about 20x times, just to be sure.
Amitatys also causes me to crash. Ive also narrowed it down to Myzea that causes the crash. Tried everything to fix it, at this point im 100% sure it is an issue that needs to be fixed with the mod.

SyncWolf

Veteran
Oct 17, 2021
Netherlands
Amitatys also causes me to crash. Ive also narrowed it down to Myzea that causes the crash. Tried everything to fix it, at this point im 100% sure it is an issue that needs to be fixed with the mod.
I haven't seen any feedback from any players on it, but do you experience these same crashes on those maps in single player or only in BO?

Knowing could help narrow it down.

Ferad

Recruit
Dec 5, 2023
Noticing that more people have posted this problem after Nov 2023. Does everyone from Nov 2nd to now have an AMD gpu by chance? They released an updated driver on that day and that is around the time I started having some issues with the game. My most common issue is the d3d one, but I also have an issue where the game will freeze if I spin my character too quickly during a larger scale battle. Don't know if anyone else is having that same problem or if I get to try and figure out two issues haha

SyncWolf

Veteran
Oct 17, 2021
Netherlands
Noticing that more people have posted this problem after Nov 2023. Does everyone from Nov 2nd to now have an AMD gpu by chance? They released an updated driver on that day and that is around the time I started having some issues with the game. My most common issue is the d3d one, but I also have an issue where the game will freeze if I spin my character too quickly during a larger scale battle. Don't know if anyone else is having that same problem or if I get to try and figure out two issues haha
Have you tried reducing the frame limiter step mentioned in the guide? It may help reduce the strain on the hardware.

If you believe the drivers for AMD to be related, you could try installing the older drivers to see if the issue disappears.

Ferad

Recruit
Dec 5, 2023
Have you tried reducing the frame limiter step mentioned in the guide? It may help reduce the strain on the hardware.

If you believe the drivers for AMD to be related, you could try installing the older drivers to see if the issue disappears.
I dropped the frame limiter down to 100 and it is running much better. No issues in two of my plays so that's a good sign. Thanks for the help.

HakimBro

Recruit
Jan 4, 2024
Its started to plague me too. Its day 2 of me trying to fix the damn thing. Noticed though that when the option "Birth and Aging Options" is left turned on in the menu the game starts crashing shortly after (only during battle) since I tried turning it off and it went without a problem - though I want the options turned on. Well I tried all of your fixes, anyone got any other ideas? Thank yee broskis

EDIT:

Fixed the problem. Reverted to previous drivers version and the problem is no more. Who wouldve thought, its just a AMD thing.

Last edited:

Strobe

Recruit
Jan 3, 2024
Its started to plague me too. Its day 2 of me trying to fix the damn thing. Noticed though that when the option "Birth and Aging Options" is left turned on in the menu the game starts crashing shortly after (only during battle) since I tried turning it off and it went without a problem - though I want the options turned on. Well I tried all of your fixes, anyone got any other ideas? Thank yee broskis

EDIT:

Fixed the problem. Reverted to previous drivers version and the problem is no more. Who wouldve thought, its just a AMD thing.
How old of a version did you revert to? I'm havin trouble figuring this out.

HakimBro

Recruit
Jan 4, 2024
How old of a version did you revert to? I'm havin trouble figuring this out.
I just jumped back to the last stable version that worked last time I checked, 22.11.2.

In case, go to "C:\AMD\AMD_Software_Installer_22.11.2" and it should be pretty straightforward from there, have fun.

Strobe

Recruit
Jan 3, 2024
I just jumped back to the last stable version that worked last time I checked, 22.11.2.

In case, go to "C:\AMD\AMD_Software_Installer_22.11.2" and it should be pretty straightforward from there, have fun.
Yep reverting fixed it for me too, however I didn't have 22.11.2. I used 21.10.2. What's scares me now tho is how rolling back so far will affect the other games I play, especially the mod heavy ones. It's bewildering how that's what I had to do just to make Bannerlord more stable.

Edit: Tested it with 22.11.2 and works as well.

Last edited: